Monday, September 5, 2011

A Different Perspective!

                                This is a photo of me with my son the day before he turned 3 this year!

                         Today I feel like speaking about what I believe and why. If you are not a religious or spiritual person I have no problem with you not reading this post. I believe I am a daughter of God. That's right not just a spiritual daughter of my Heavenly Father but also a literal daughter of my Heavenly Father. That means that I have a divine destiny and birthright. This largely has to do with my choices in life which all mankind has agency; or the ability to choose right from wrong. There are several psychologists and researchers who believe that we are the sum of our experiences. If you have ever heard of the "Tabula Rasa" or Blank Slate theory this is essentially what I'm referring to. Some folks believe that what we are taught to believe, we believe; and how we are expected to act we end up acting. Or that basicly we learn from our experiences and from what we are taught in life. I'd like to pick apart this theory and see if I can try to disprove it.

If I wasn't taught or never knew that my body was a temple would it cease to be? Would I treat it differently? Maybe, I would treat it differently- but it wouldn't cease to be what it is. If I wasn't taught about Baptism, the Holy Scriptures, what a Testimony is and how to treat my body well and take care of it, would those things cease to be as well? I should think not. I may act differently because desire leads to belief and action on the belief leads to knowledge. If I had no desire or no knowledge I may act differently and choose to not value my body as a temple, or a gift from my Father in Heaven.

I have heard it said before that we are temporal beings having a spiritual experience, However... I believe that we are Spiritual Beings having a Temporal and Spiritual Experience. I just thought I'd give you food for thought today. I hope it was thought provoking. Happy Labor Day!

Chelsea

No comments:

Post a Comment