Friday, January 13, 2012

Realization

Do you know what I just realized a few seconds ago?
A cluttered mind can sometimes be caused by a cluttered home.
And a cluttered home can often cause a cluttered mind.
In my Psychology class I am learning about Addictive Thinking.
It's only the first week of class and I've already learned a great deal.
Cause and Effect do not always happen the way we read them.
Sometimes the effect may make the cause happen.
Occasionally, the cause will bring about an effect.
Thinking badly about oneself or one's circumstances, accomplishments, family life or blaming others for your choices can start addictive thinking.

Addictive Thinking does not have to mean we are dependent on chemical addictions or alcohol.
Although it definately can, all it means is that we as humans have a propensity for "instant gratification." We would like a reward right now, without working hard to have earned it. I know I work very hard at the University and in my Choirs and Singing Courses. But, if I worked just as hard on everything else as I do the talents & skills I have my circumstances would be so much sweeter. Remembering to take care of myself physically has always been a challenge in my life. I need to work on that and really understand the value of my body and being healthy. My brother has said, "We only have one body, we need to take care of it." I really need to work on that. Just because I've struggled with something doesn't mean I can't tackle it! I can overcome this hurdle by making goals and sticking to them, and believing in myself!
It's important to cope with my past in a healthy way and understand that everyone's life has challenges.
What's critical is what am I going to do with my life? How am I going to react to the stresses I receive?
What I do in the here and now affects my future greatly! I don't have to worry about what happened to me or what was done years ago, I need to focus on the positive wonderful aspects in my life. My son, my neighborhood, my home, my amazing schooling and wonderful friends and loved ones.

Everyone has a back story, in truth many adults have had troubled past in childhood and it still hurts them now. Our past is a part of us, but it does not have to control who we are today, tomorrow or in the future.
We can use it as a pattern for resiliency and helping others. We should learn first how to take care of ourselves.

What also makes me understand who I really am is that I have a divine potential! And so do you!
Whatever you believe in, or what spiritual views or secular frameworks you hold, you are soaring to new heights and so can I!

Thank you for reading!


Chelsea Merkley

No comments:

Post a Comment